Re: Using cygwin1.dbg

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:46:21AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>I'm attempting to debug an issue with libtool, and it seems to be
>related to the implementation of argz_insert and/or realloc within
>newlib/cygwin.
>
>I'm using cygwin kernel 1.5.24-2, so I downloaded cygwin-1.5.24-2-src,
>and copied the cygwin1.dbg file from there into /usr/bin/
>
>When I launched gdb/insight (gdb-20060706-2) on my target app, and ran
>the target, I got two popup windows:
>
>"section .text not found in /usr/bin/cygwin1.dbg"
>"no loadable sections found in added symbol-file /usr/bin/cygwin1.dbg"
>
>After dismissing those two popups, I tried to go ahead and debug my
>libtool problem.  However, if I try to step into cygwin kernel functions
>-- like argz_insert or realloc -- I do not see source-level info in the
>insight window -- I only get assembly.
>
>Is this normal/expected, and if not, what am I doing wrong and how can I
>do source-level debugging of cygwin kernel functions using the
>distributed .dll/.dbg files?
>
>Or should I just build the kernel unstripped using cygwin-1.5.24-2-src,
>and debug against that?

Corinna has been responsible for the last few cygwin 1.5.2x releases and
she has a different way of generating a release than mine.  It's
possible that the .dbg file isn't working right or created correctly.

I'm generating a snapshot now.  If you try that and it doesn't work I
can look into fixing it.  I can't fix the 1.5.24 dbg problem, however,
and Corinna isn't available to look into it right now.  So, if the
snapshot works for you, you might want to just stick with that.  It's
closer to mainline CVS anyway.

cgf