Re: Accessing remote PC (ssh?)

Charles D. Russell wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

You
could check your network settings under Windows to see if it properly
points to your router for DNS.

Can this advice be reduced to a simple instruction for someone who doesn't understand what he is doing? One reason I use Cygwin is to avoid having to learn anything about Windows.

I can try.  Go to "Start"->"Settings"->"Network Connections".  Click on
"Local Area Connecton".  RMB down and choose "Properties".  Look in the
box called "This connection uses the following items:".  Make sure you
have "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and that it is checked.  Select it and
hit the "Properties" button.  In the "General" tab, make sure
"Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.  Also check that
"Obtain DNS server address automatically" is selected.  Hit the "Advanced"
button and the "DNS" tab.  Make sure "Register this connection's addresses
in DNS".  If you must, you can enter your router's IP in "DNS server
addresses, in order of use:" box, though that shouldn't be required.
That should be enough.  If you don't have some of these things, with
the exception of the your router's IP address listed as a DNS server,
you want to fix all those other things first.

Holliston, MA 01746