Re: Tab Completion and Typical Behavior

On 2007-03-19, robert_neville310@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have a question about tab completion in the console window. The
> .bash_profile exports the right paths and the console performs tab
> completion. My scripts can be found in ~/bin. I can tab out
> myscript.sh, but can not tab complete ./myscript.sh; or sh
> myscript.sh. Is this behavior normal? Can I change the console
> behavior to tab out ./myscript.sh?

Larry didn't address the case of

    sh myscript.sh

which doesn't seem to work by default.  However, you can tell bash
to expand the arguments to sh as commands by executing

    complete -c sh

and then

    sh mysc<Tab>

should work.  For more on this, see the bash(1) man page, search for
the section on "SHELL BUILTIN COMMANDS" and search from there for
"complete".

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@spk.agilent.com     | Mobile Broadband Division