Re: slow bash spawn

Thrall, Bryan wrote:
Marc Compere wrote on Sunday, March 18, 2007 8:28 AM:
The recent setup.exe update has caused bash.exe to have startup times
approx. 10x longer than before. sh.exe starts pretty quickly but
bash.exe via cygwin.bat takes ~30 seconds to start. Took just a
couple of seconds before. Cpu is nowhere near pinned, hovering around
3% or 5%.

Each bash process spawn from within bash takes a long time as well
making ./configure and make take a lot longer than before.

Just a WAG, but do you have any network shares or network drives in your path? (see http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.slow)

Bryan,
Good WAG - just double checked and there are no occurrences of // in the path which means bash is not explicitly looking for a network drive.

However, during this command:

cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out

I get this output to stderr:

cygcheck: dump_sysinfo: GetVolumeInformation() for drive E: failed: 2
cygcheck: dump_sysinfo: GetVolumeInformation() for drive Y: failed: 53
cygcheck: dump_sysinfo: GetVolumeInformation() for drive Z: failed: 53

Could be what you suspect but those shares aren't new and I do not believe failing network shares cause 'ls' to slow down along with everything else.... perhaps, but I think there's something else.

Marc