Re: How to learn about compiling openssh?

siegfried wrote:

> Where is the best place to post queries about compiling components of cygwin
> like openssh? Should I post here or in the developers mailing list?

Download the -src package.  It is designed to compile into exactly the
same form as the binary package of the same name.  There will either be
a foo-x.y.z-q.sh script that you can run to automate all the steps, or
there will be a standard configure script to run.  The Cygwin-specific
README (i.e. /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/*) should tell what configure flags
were used to build the package, in this case.

> I've downloaded the source to openssh and openssl and I would like to build
> them in debug mode and single step thru them with a GUI debugger.

Note that many packages have Cygwin-local patches, so in general you
should get the -src package and not the upstream source.  Although in
this case, I think these two packages are OOTB.

> (1) What gui debugger do you recommend? Does eclipse work well for cygwin
> projects? What about bloodshed? I'm guessing visual studio is far to tedious
> to use since it does not use the gnu compilers.

God no.  All of those will majorly suck for debugging a Cygwin app, as
none of them are Cygwin apps themself and will choke on the filenames.
And in the case of MS tools, they can't even read the debug format so
you'll be looking at bare bytes and raw assembler.

insight works great.  It's a GUI front end to gdb, which also works
great.  There's also DDD which is an x11 app.

> (2) I typed ./configure (which seemed to work fine) and make and received
> the errors below. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Siegfried
>
> (cd openbsd-compat && make)
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/openssh-4.6p1-1/openbsd-compat'
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wuninitialized -Wsign-compare  -I. -I..
> -I. -I
> ./..  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c bsd-arc4random.c
> In file included from ../openbsd-compat/openbsd-compat.h:45,
>                  from ../includes.h:167,
>                  from bsd-arc4random.c:17:
> ../openbsd-compat/getrrsetbyname.h:57:26: arpa/nameser.h: No such file or
> direct
> ory
> ../openbsd-compat/getrrsetbyname.h:59:20: resolv.h: No such file or
> directory

Please read /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README.  Specifically, the
following:

> You must have installed the following packages to be able to build OpenSSH:
>
> - zlib
> - openssl-devel
> - minires-devel

In general, to find out which package contains a file, use cygcheck -p
or visit <http://cygwin.com/packages/>.  You will see that those headers
are in minires-devel.

Brian