Re: How to learn about compiling openssh?

siegfried wrote:

> Are these kindof things taken care of by the cygport program mentioned
> in c:/cygwin/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/zlib-1.2.3.README?

Cygport is just a framework for building packages.  It's an alternative
to the so-called "generic build script" method and the plain "already
patched directory ready to configure" method.  Whichever of the three is
used is just a different way of accomplishing the same thing, namely
applying patches to source, configuring, building, and creating
packages.

> Did I download the src package already when I used the cygwin installer
> program and checked the src checkbox?

If you select the source package in setup, it downloads the -src package
and unpacks it into /usr/src.

> OK, so I thought I would be clever and read the
> c:/cygwin/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/zlib-1.2.3.README before posting
> another question ;).
>
> In c:/cygwin/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/zlib-1.2.3.README it says to use cygport.
>
> Hmmm... that cygport program is pretty clever. Why did not the
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README mention this program? I suppose only
> some programs use it?

The packaging method used is at the discretion of the maintainer.
Cygport is a relatively new thing, and it didn't even exist 8 or 9 years
ago when zlib was first packaged.  For most maintainers, it's not worth
the trouble to switch methods for no good reason.

But I still don't see why you're even bothering trying to build zlib.
There's no reason to do this unless you plan to debug zlib, which is not
what you said you were trying to do previously.  You can build openssh
from source and link it to the existing zlib without rebuilding zlib.
This in fact is the entire reason that libraries were invented, so that
you could reuse parts without having to recompile the entire thing every
time.

Brian