Re: Tab Completion and Typical Behavior

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:20:33 -0700, Gary Johnson
<garyjohn@spk.agilent.com> wrote:

>On 2007-03-19, robert_neville310@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I have a question about tab completion in the console window. The
>> .bash_profile exports the right paths and the console performs tab
>> completion. My scripts can be found in ~/bin. I can tab out
>> myscript.sh, but can not tab complete ./myscript.sh; or sh
>> myscript.sh. Is this behavior normal? Can I change the console
>> behavior to tab out ./myscript.sh?
>
>Larry didn't address the case of
>
>    sh myscript.sh
>
>which doesn't seem to work by default.  However, you can tell bash
>to expand the arguments to sh as commands by executing
>
>    complete -c sh

Works great. Thanks Gary.

> That is, if you don't use the bash-completion package.  If you install
> that, and tweak your ~/.bashrc (/etc/defaults/etc/skel/.bashrc has some
> hints), then you get this, and many other, programmable completion tweaks
> by default.

Not many hints in my .bashrc. It just has this code block.

# If this shell is interactive, turn on programmable completion
enhancements.
# Any completions you add in ~/.bash_completion are sourced last.
# case $- in
#   *i*) [[ -f /etc/bash_completion ]] && . /etc/bash_completion ;;
# esac

 I am not familar with  interactive mode and do not have a
bash_completion file.

complete -c sh

Do I need to place this statement in the .bashrc? What is the proper
syntax?

I am asking for confirmation to avoid breaking my console. By the way,
I do not have the bash_completion file or a template for it. I could
easily touch the file if necessary.

What is $- ?