Re: Tab Completion and Typical Behavior

On 3/20/07, Gary Johnson <DELETED!> wrote:
On 2007-03-20, robert_neville310 AT yahoo DOT com wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:20:33 -0700, Gary Johnson
> <DELETED!> wrote:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Including someone's address in your reply is frowned upon in this
list.  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR
I personally don't care--it's too late for the address I use on
lists and I have a very good spam filter--but other folks are very
sensitive to the issue, and rightly so.

I don't know what the list policy is for users who use only their
address and don't include their name in their "From: " header, but I
see that my mailer used your address because it couldn't find a
name.  Oops.

> >On 2007-03-19, robert_neville310 AT yahoo DOT com wrote:
> >> I have a question about tab completion in the console window. The
> >> .bash_profile exports the right paths and the console performs tab
> >> completion. My scripts can be found in ~/bin. I can tab out
> >> myscript.sh, but can not tab complete ./myscript.sh; or sh
> >> myscript.sh. Is this behavior normal? Can I change the console
> >> behavior to tab out ./myscript.sh?
> >
> >Larry didn't address the case of
> >
> >    sh myscript.sh
> >
> >which doesn't seem to work by default.  However, you can tell bash
> >to expand the arguments to sh as commands by executing
> >
> >    complete -c sh
> >
> Works great. Thanks Gary.

You're welcome.

> Eric Blake wrote:

> > That is, if you don't use the bash-completion package.  If you install
> > that, and tweak your ~/.bashrc (/etc/defaults/etc/skel/.bashrc has some
> > hints), then you get this, and many other, programmable completion tweaks
> > by default.
>
> Not many hints in my .bashrc. It just has this code block.
>
> # If this shell is interactive, turn on programmable completion
> enhancements.
> # Any completions you add in ~/.bash_completion are sourced last.
> # case $- in
> #   *i*) [[ -f /etc/bash_completion ]] && . /etc/bash_completion ;;
> # esac
>
>  I am not familar with  interactive mode and do not have a
> bash_completion file.

Interactive mode is the mode the shell is in when you're controlling
it from a command prompt.  The shell is usually not in interactive
mode when it's executing a script.

You can get the bash-completion package from here:

http://cygwin.com/packages/

but I don't know if it installs the .bash_completion file itself or
whether you have to do that yourself.  I didn't even know about it
until reading Eric's reply.

> complete -c sh
>
> Do I need to place this statement in the .bashrc? What is the proper
> syntax?

Unless you are going to use the bash-completion package which will
apparently get you this and much more, then yes, put that statement
just as it is in your ~/.bashrc.  That's one of the nice things
about bash and other Unix shells:  the syntax in a script file or
initialization file is the same as the syntax from the keyboard.

> I am asking for confirmation to avoid breaking my console. By the way,
> I do not have the bash_completion file or a template for it. I could
> easily touch the file if necessary.
>
> What is $- ?

$- is an environment variable that contains the current set of
options.  For example, from the bash I have running in an rxvt
window,

   $ echo $-
   himBH

You can then execute "man bash" and search for -h, for example, to
discover that the shell will "[r]emember the location of commands as
they are looked up for execution.  This is enabled by default."

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@spk.agilent.com     | Mobile Broadband Division
                            | Spokane, Washington, USA

Hello!
Actually Gary the web based mailer behind Yahoo is quite badly
managed, so that will always happen, and unfortunately, Google Mail as
much as I like it does that to. I deleted your address from the reply
up there. However the filters for Google Mail are nearly as aggressive
as the trainers at Fairchild AFB near you were supposed to have been.
(I also have family living in your locality as it happens!)

What he's up to is the typical game that gets played all over the
place, either with Cygwin, or with Linux, or even probably HP/UX, you
try everything. If it works which I doubt he'll learn something, if it
does not which I do not, then he'll learn something.

Other then that, then the blurb above is what I've contributed to this
thread, the one below the greeting is the formality.

--
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com
"This signature was once found posting rude