Re: Seeking Installation Instructions for Postgresql on Cygwin

Public Mailing Lists schrieb:
Thanks guys, now I'm a little further:

I installed that cygserver, and now I can start a postgresql with
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql startlocal

If I try to start the service, I'm getting:
$ /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
Starting PostgreSQL: - cygserver OK - cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: OpenS
ervice: Win32 error 1060:
Der angegebene Dienst ist kein installierter Dienst.
[This is a German Windows, and the above message translates to English like "the service is not an installed service"]

ERROR service start FAILED
LOG:  shutting down
LOG:  database system is shut down
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2007-03-12 09:33:04
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/ABCF48
LOG:  redo record is at 0/ABCF48; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 544; next OID: 17230
LOG:  database system is ready
LOG:  received smart shutdown request
LOG:  shutting down
LOG:  database system is shut down

I would rather like to start everything at boot time with init.
Is there anything else I need to do?

If you want to start it as service you must assign the proper permissions for the user SYSTEM (see the init.d script),
and install the service.
The init.d script even does this for you, as it did for with startlocal.

The README describes all necessary steps.
$ less /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-8.0.7.README

For the impatient: install as service (hard)

    # save old database (optional)
    pg_dumpall -g /tmp/$$pgdump-globals.sql
    pg_dumpall > /tmp/$$pgdump.sql
    # adjust the settings in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql
    nano /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql
    sysbash # /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql initdb
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql install
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

For the impatient: install as user (easy)

    cygrunsrv -S cygserver
    initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
    pg_ctl start -D /usr/share/postgresql/data -l /var/log/postgresql.log
    createdb
    psql