Re: Building GCC 4.3.0 on Cygwin...

There is no conspiracy.  What is needed is for there to be a vocal
advocate on the gcc list for Windows patches.  I can only approve a very
limited amount of stuff so we need gcc global maintainers to approve the
majority of Windows fixes.
I didn't call it a conspiracy, but I myself have been the recipient of comments from Microsoft personnel like "we don't want you using cygwin, we won't fix Windows bugs which are reported mainly by cygwin users." I don't claim to see uniformity in positions taken by people representing Microsoft.
The people you mention are not the only ones who have discontinued visible activity after taking a prominent role in cygwin.
Not that I have the competence to solve any such problems, but if you check gcc-testsuite you should see that I have posted the greatest number of cygwin results the last 10 years, since well before my present employment. The average time for action on the few gcc PR's and patches I have proposed exceeds a year, so I don't claim an effective record. If evidence is presented that my doing so has hindered the success of cygwin, or constitutes a conflict of interest, I will not attempt to resume testing.
I won't comment on the magnitude of efforts (sometimes successful) by non-open software vendors to get even treatment from Microsoft; so I mention my obligation to disclaim any relationship between what I say here and my employer's activities.