Slow performance following upgrade

I recently installed Cygwin (1.5.24(0.156/4/2)) on a new (dual-core)
machine, and am seeing much slower performance than a February install
of Cygwin on an older machine (no longer available for comparison, I'm
afraid).

I suspect it is a problem with disk IO, mostly because it is more
noticable in software that does more file access.  In particular, I see
readv and writev getting errno 2 (ENOENT) frequently.  For example:

    $ PAGER=cat strace man man | grep 'errno 2' | wc -l
    422

I first blamed XFT, as it manifested itself most obviously when starting
XFT applications; I now suspect that's just because they do a lot of
file access on startup.  XFT terminals (mrxvt, rxvt-unicode) run
snappily after ~7 seconds startup time.  xfd with an XFT font ends up
with over 150k 'errno 2' lines in strace.

I'm not sure how to further diagnose the problem.  strace output is
available at:

    http://nox.cx/cygwin

-Zak