Extraneous characters in mutt text manual?

I'm using Cygwin 1.5.24 on Windows XP Pro SP2

I saw the announcement about the new bash package, so I used setup.exe
to upgrade my installed packages today. This bumped my mutt (and its
documentation) up to 1.4.2.2-1

When I do (with less 381-1)...

less /usr/share/doc/mutt-1.4.2.2/manual.txt

I get a display like this:

---- quote from manual -------------------------------

Some of the status flags can be turned on or off using

<B7> ESC[1mset-flag ESC[22m(default: w)

<B7> ESC[1mclear-flag ESC[22m(default: W)

---- end quote from manual ---------------------------

If (with vim 7.0.122-1) I do...

view /usr/share/doc/mutt-1.4.2.2/manual.txt

...I get this:

Some of the status flags can be turned on or off using

· ^[[1mset-flag ^[[22m(default: w)

· ^[[1mclear-flag ^[[22m(default: W)

---- end quote from manual ---------------------------

If I less or view other textfile documentation, for instance /usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.5/NEWS, I don't get the same display problem. I haven't seen this happen before with any Cygwin text documentation that I've read. Aren't these extra characters leftover formatting characters from some text processing tool?

Does anyone else observe this, or is this a me-only problem?