Re: Support for st_birthtime

On 3/26/07, Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> wrote:
Corinna only replied to the cygwin list.  It looks like Windows will
populate st_birthtime with st_ctime when reading filesystems that don't
support birthtime.  This is a bit yucky, as it adds to the problem wrongly
being perpetuated by Microsoft that ctime stands for creation time instead
of change time.

Worse, it makes it impossible to ask questions like "was this file changed since it was created?" and expect reliable answers. On systems which have no "birth time" you get the answer "no" when the correct answer is "we don't know".

But I guess all findutils can do is go by what stat()
reports, and users must be aware that ctime==btime may be the indicator
that btime is not supported for that file.

But I don't think we can do that, because it is indistinguishable from the "file never changed" case.

James