Re: Bug: setup.exe crashes on Windows Server 2000

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Charles Hyder wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, fellows,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to install Cygwin on Windows Server 2000. I've downloaded
> > > the latest version of Cygwin's setup.exe, started it, got all the
> > > way to the point where downloading of packages begins, but there i
> > > get "Integer division by zero" crash. No packages are created in the
> > > downloads dir. Tried setup.exe with "Install from local dir" (I have
> > > another installation under XP): same crash. I know, 2000 Server is
> > > not on everybody's mind anymore, but I do need to install Cygwin
> > > there, so help with fixing the bug would be appreciated.
> >
> > Does the latest snapshot from <http://cygwin.com/setup/snapshots/>
> > also crash?
> >         Igor
>
> Yes, exactly the same crash:
>
> "The exception Integer division by zero"

Ok.  Problems with setup.exe are usually discussed on the cygwin-apps
list, so I'm Cc'ing there.  If you don't feel like subscribing, you can
continue to reply on the main cygwin list.

> The debugger output follows:
>
> 004A74A2  mov         dword ptr [esp+4],edx
> 004A74A6  mov         dword ptr [esp],1
> [169 lines of assembly dump snipped]
> 004A764D  xor         edx,edx
> 004A764F  div         eax,ecx
> <<-------------- This is where the breakpoint occurred.

Thanks for the effort to debug this, but the above output was pretty
useless.  What would be more useful is a stack trace.  We really need to
build a version of the snapshot with debugging symbols (Brian?).  When
that version is up, please run it and give us the stack trace of the
failure.

If you have another machine with Cygwin and feel up to it, you can try
building a debugging version of setup yourself.  Otherwise, please monitor
the cygwin-apps list (<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/>) for the
announcement of a debug snapshot.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin