Re: slow bash spawn

On March 20 Marc Campere wrote:

>> Well, it seems I've found the problem, or at least a big component of
the problem.
>> Turns out it is likely not (directly) related to cygwin code but some
other interaction
>> between cygwin and the OS as a result of a Sonic Solutions DLA process
running.
>> DLA apparantly stands for Drive Letter Access Component. Exact process
name is
>> c:\windows\system32\dla\dlactrlw.exe. Snapshot attached.
>>
>> Being fed up with long XP boot-up times I had downloaded Autoruns and
removed
>> many, seemingly unnecessary startup processes and services. Oops,
apparantly
>> dlactrlw.exe is necessary for Cygwin to run quickly as usual. Never
would have
>> guessed - still don't quite understand how a Sonic cd burner software (I
presume)
>> causes the slow down, but it's pretty repeatable. 5 reboots later
there's a 1-to-1
>> correspondence with this process and fast cygwin bash-related commands,
>> including ./configure and make.

I am having a similar problem with bash shell startup and with "more" and
"less" commands
(which apparently spawn a new bash shell to process text in the current
shell window).

I was not sure if it was due to a recent refresh of my cygwin install or
due to a recent
upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows XP.

My problem now is that your fix does not seem to apply to my case.  I do
not have a
c:\windows\system32\dla\dlactrlw.exe, but instead have a tfswctrl.exe.  In
the Sonic help
there is information on DLA.  It would appear that I have it turned on for
my machine, even
though I can't see it in the Task Manager.  (As a corporate user on this
machine I can't
get into the registry or services to look.)

Any other ideas?

Ken

xx