Re: Waiting for //.terminfo or //.termcap

Igor Peshansky wrote on 03/28/2007 03:23:26 PM:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Ken Fast wrote:
>
> > Igor Peshansky wrote on 03/28/2007 12:39:15 PM:

> > > You didn't attach the output of "cygcheck -svr", as requested in

> > > so I have to ask: what is your HOME set to?  If it's set to "/", that
> > > would explain the behavior (although it's arguably a bug in ncurses,
> > > since it should be looking for /.terminfo instead).  Try setting your
> > > HOME to something else.  And please follow the above "Problem
reports"
> > > link and provide the requested information.
> > >    Igor
> >
> > (See attached file: cygcheck.txt)
>
> Yep, looks ok.
>
> > Yes, my HOME was set to "/".  I set it to something else and that fixed
> > the speed problem. However, in my Windows profile HOME is actually set
> > to "C:/cygwin".
>
> Why?
>
> > It is the mount of C:/cygwin on / that resets it to "/".  How do I keep
> > HOME pointing to "C:/cygwin" instead of "/", or do I need HOME set at
> > all?  Should I keep HOME out of my Windows profile and just put it in
> > .bashrc instead?
>
> Few of the Windows tools care for the value of HOME (I think they use
> HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH instead).  However, Cygwin lets the users set their
> HOME to a Windows path in the global environment, and then performs the
> translation to Cygwin paths (which respects the mount table).  There is
no
> way to turn off this translation, and probably no need to.
>
> The usual value for HOME in Cygwin is /home/$USER (in your case,
> /home/kfast).  It might be best to either set it properly (i.e., to
> c:\cygwin\home\kfast), or omit it altogether, as that is the default.
>
> > As for the bug in ncurses, is this a known thing, or a useful thing to
> > pursue?
>
> Not sure -- you might want to investigate on the ncurses-related mailing
> lists.  I suspect it's been reported before, but nobody bothers to fix
it,
> since Cygwin is one of the few platforms where the initial "//" is
> actually different from "/", very few people in Cygwin set their home to
> "/", and for many projects "if it works on Linux, it ain't a bug".  You
> can try either reporting it again, or (better) submitting a fix and
seeing
> if they accept it.  Shouldn't be too hard to fix.
>    Igor
> --

Thanks so much for your help.  I am back to high-speed cygwin.

In the end I had to set my HOME to something.  Otherwise cygwin would set
it
to my Windows HOMEDRIVE, which goes out to the network.  I have a laptop
and
want it all to work when disconnected.  I set up a C:/cygwin/home/$USER and
put that in my Windows environment as HOME.  It has been a long time since
my
primary HOME was a *NIX box so that didn't occur to me before.  I don't
remember
having any speed problems until recently.  That is why I thought it was
either
the change to WinXP or a newer version of cygwin.  I will check into the
ncurses
issue and maybe even go poking around in the source code.

Thanks again.

Ken