Re: Using mysql 5.1.16 beta client libraries on cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 10:54:05PM +0200, Eric Lilja wrote:
As many of you may know, the binary distribution of MySQL for Windows only ships with MSVC++ libraries. They have no binary distribution for Cygwin. So what do you do if you want to develop c or c++ programs talking to a native Windows MySQL server using the cygwin tools?

Well, you can compile the client libraries yourself. Here's how I did it:
$ tar xvzf mysql-5.1.16-beta.tar.gz
$ cd mysql-5.1.16-beta
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql-5.1.16-beta --exec-prefix=/usr/local/mysql-5.1.16-beta --without-server --without-docs --without-man
$ make
$ make install

Keep the source directory so you can uninstall with:
$ make uninstall

If only there was some mechanism for sending precompiled cygwin-aware mysql clients to a wider audience...

Nah. That's a crazy dream.

Do you mean it's a suitable candidate for an official cygwin package so it can be easily found and installed (whereas this post is not easy to encounter unless you do some searching or happen to check the list) or was it just your way of saying that my post was noise? I'd love to maintain such a package if there is interest. But I have never maintained a package before and it seems somewhat involved, heh.

- Eric