Re: Using mysql 5.1.16 beta client libraries on cygwin

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 10:06:26PM +0100, Roelf Renkema wrote:
>Eric Lilja wrote:
>>As many of you may know, the binary distribution of MySQL for Windows
>>only ships with MSVC++ libraries.  They have no binary distribution for
>>Cygwin.  So what do you do if you want to develop c or c++ programs
>>talking to a native Windows MySQL server using the cygwin tools?
>
>That brings me to a question I wanted to ask for a long time?
>
>Where's cygwin's php and/or mysql.  They probably got a lot going
>against them but they are peoples choise.  At least some communication
>would be nice.  And now riscing the lart, why doesn't cygwin cross the
>border and take advantage of ported software.  Lets face it, cygwin
>will never bring posix to windows, but if it just posixs windows with a
>few cheats that nobody cares about hey.......

What in the world are you talking about?

Not bring POSIX to Windows?

We've already done that (and we're not even alone here).

Take advantage of ported software?

We've done that too.

Where would the supposed mysql or php come from?  Are you supposing that
a cabal (Hey! Maybe it's Microsoft) is keeping some poor downtrodden
mysql port away from the distribution because it isn't pure-POSIX or
something?

It seems like you're indulging in some magical thinking here.  You
should stop that.  It doesn't work too well with computers.

cgf