Re: slow bash spawn

On 3/28/07, Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com> wrote:
On 27 March 2007 21:13, Ken Fast wrote:

> My problem now is that your fix does not seem to apply to my case. I do > not have a > c:\windows\system32\dla\dlactrlw.exe, but instead have a tfswctrl.exe. In > the Sonic help > there is information on DLA. It would appear that I have it turned on for > my machine, even > though I can't see it in the Task Manager. (As a corporate user on this > machine I can't > get into the registry or services to look.) > > Any other ideas?

  Well, as a corporate user, your best bet is to go talk to your IT people and
explain that it's causing a problem with the cygwin tools that you need to use
to do your job and could they uninstall it for you please?  The DLA software
is used for (udfs) packet-based cd burning by dragging and dropping files to
the cd in explorer.  You won't be able to read or write packet-based discs any
more but you'll still be able to read and burn standard disc-at-once or
track-at-once cds.

  UDFS is a PITA anyway.  Non-standard, plagued by buggy drivers and
implementations, you're better off without it.  I once had some UDFS
packet-burning software on my w2k box that thought it had a really bright
idea: it put a standard-format boot sector/autorun track (I forget exactly
which) on every UDFS disc, that would run any time you inserted the disk in a
machine without a UDFS driver and install one.

  Unfortunately the UDFS driver it installed was buggy.  So what you really
got was a disc which when you inserted it into a machine, it immediately
BSoD'd the machine.

But not before configuring the buggy driver to autostart in early boot.

  So after you take the disk out you're left with a brick that just
auto-self-destructs every time you boot it up.

Took a while to fix that one.

<Crit>

This is why I feel that UDFS must die.

one word: TITTTL

</crit>

> Ken
>

> xx

Let's keep it on a professional basis, please! ;-)

    cheers,
      DaveK

as i said, bash and sh are the Same File. I would ask the Bash-devel people about this, because its become one

-- Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.