Re: 'kill' cannot see other process but its own PID ?

Ah, yes, and I am running... (drumroll)

Windows 2003!

Thanks. Then I need to implement my functionality the
hard way.

Regards,

Jurgen

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent by:
cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
Please respond to
cygwin@cygwin.com

cygwin@cygwin.com
cc

Subject
Re: 'kill' cannot see other process but its own PID ?
Classification

On Mar 29 09:30, Jurgen Defurne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just discovered that 'kill' is not able to test (-0) for processes
> which have been started from the cygwin environment, but
> running as another user, in this case as a service (UID = 0).
>
> Is this a problem stemming from the cygwin environment
> or is it due to Windows itself ?
>
> As a workaround, it seems only parsing the output from
> 'ps -Wl' could give me the desired functionality, which
> is testing if a certain process, of which the PID is known,
> is still running or not.
>
> Does anyone have maybe other ideas I might have
> missed ?

Depending on your user rights you might be unable to access the POSIX
process information object created by Cygwin processes running in
another session.  This is a result of a change starting with Windows
2003 and XP 64 bit.  The current solution in Cygwin is slighlty
incorrect but we don't have a nice workaround so far.

Corinna

Red Hat