RE: multiple cygwin installs

Steve M. Robbins wrote on Thursday, March 29, 2007 6:05 AM::

> Howdy,
>
> I had installed cygwin and used it for some months.  Then I had to
> install another tool (crestron SIMPL+ compiler) and discovered that
> cygwin no longer worked.  It turns out that the SIMPL+ compiler is
> based around a cygwin gcc cross compiler.  So I need to have two
> simultaneous cygwin environments.
>
> At the moment, I'm managing with a pair of registry-mangling scripts:
> one that removes the crestron entries and restores the cygwin entries,
> and a second script that removes cygwin and installs crestron.  It
> works, but it's fairly cumbersome.
>
> I've searched the archives and found a couple of previous threads,
> such as http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2001-10/msg00625.html, but not
> much enlightenment.
>
> I gather that the two impediments to separate installs are: the shared
> registry entries, and a shared memory location.  I read that you can
> get around these with a recompile
> (http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-10/msg00651.html).  But I can't
> find any details on how to build a cygwin that does not interfere with
> the official cygwin.  Is there a configure-time option?  Or do you
> edit the file winsup/cygwin/include/cygwin/version.h to change
> CYGWIN_INFO_CYGNUS_REGISTRY_NAME?  What about the shared memory
> region?
>
> Thanks for any insight,
> -Steve

Can you not just eliminate the Crestron-installed cygwin?  If SIMPL+
cannot work with your current cygwin, it's broken and you need to take
it up with Crestron.

<soapbox>
Any 3PP that forces one to use their (inevitably out of date) version
of cygwin (and thereby killing the official installation) is IMO broken
and the issue should be taken up with them.  At the very least, it
shows they have such little faith in their own software's robustness
that they won't risk it running on an newer version of cygwin.

Imagine the chaos if ALL software was installed like this.  You might
end up with 100 different versions of cygwin on your PC, and ProductA
would never be able to talk to ProductB because they'd need two
different sets of registry settings simultaneously.

I'm sure their justification is that they are reducing support costs
by ensuring it's running on a known platform.  Only if their customer
support is forced to resolve the problems caused by their installation
will they learn that this is a false economy.
</soapbox>