Re: grep will not work with a variable?

On 2007-03-29, Kevin Markle wrote:
> Gary Johnson used his keyboard to write :
> > On 2007-03-29, Kevin Markle wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to find a pattern in a file and the command works if I
> >> manully put the output of the variable in it but when I use the
> >> variable it fails? I have tryed with quotes "$CLIENT" and without. I
> >> don't know what else to try? :-(
> >
> > What do you get if you execute
> >
> >     echo '|'"$CLIENT"'|'
> >
> > I just put those '|' there to more clearly delimit the value of
> > CLIENT.
> >
> > Gary
> I tryed adding a cd to the directory that I was attempting to grep from
> and that worked? This is okay because is worked but it would be nice to
> not have to so that...

You didn't say anything about a cd or directories in your original
question.  If you are still having difficulties, or just don't want
to have to do whatever it is you're having to do, we can probably
help.  However, it would help us to help you if you would describe
precisely what it is you are trying to do and describe precisely
(with examples) of what happens when it doesn't work.  See

    http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@spk.agilent.com     | Mobile Broadband Division