Re: multiple cygwin installs

Dear Phil Betts et al,

Thank you for the humourous "soapbox" lecture.  I do recognize the
sentiment and I'm all for improving the world as much as the next
guy.  I do my bit volunteering for Debian.  When it comes to windows,
however, I just want to get my work done.

To answer your question, "can the Crestron-installed cygwin be
eliminated"?  I don't know, but I wouldn't count on it.  The
cygwin-derived cross compiler is only part of the product and it wants
to be installed in a weird place (C:\Crestron\ColdFire).  I don't want
to put my cygwin there and I don't want my cygwin to be trashed when I
install a new version of the crestron tool.

As for taking it up with the vendor, that is precisely my aim.  They
are aware of the problem but suggest only a weak workaround.  What I'd
like to do is point them at a document that describes how to build
cygwin that won't interfere with the default build.  I'm
optimistically hoping they can build a modified cygwin for their tool
in the future.

In detail, my question is:

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 12:04:54AM -0500, steve wrote:

> I gather that the two impediments to separate installs are: the shared
> registry entries, and a shared memory location.  I read that you can
> get around these with a recompile
> (http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-10/msg00651.html).  But I can't
> find any details on how to build a cygwin that does not interfere with
> the official cygwin.  Is there a configure-time option?  Or do you
> edit the file winsup/cygwin/include/cygwin/version.h to change
> CYGWIN_INFO_CYGNUS_REGISTRY_NAME?  What about the shared memory
> region?

Thanks for any insight,
-Steve