Re: 1.5.24 remote launch of java gui

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Elliston, Jack W  CTR USA TRADOC NSC wrote:

> I am unable to launch a java application via ssh such that it displays
> the gui on the remote machine.
>
> Setup:
>
> Machine 1 (Linux)    --ssh-->     Machine 2 (WinXP w/ Cygwin 1.5.24)
>
> Example:
> At the prompt I type "java -jar Notepad.jar" in the correct directory
> expecting to see the java Notepad display on Machine 2
>
>  => I see a java process but no gui.
>
> I see a similar problem with the main app I am trying to run.  My
> application will run just fine on Machine 2 and I am able to interact
> with the process (but not the GUI) and I need the GUI for some
> monitoring.
>
> Even if I set the DISPLAY=localhost:0 it will not display.
>
> I don't want the GUI to show up on Machine 1 since the underlying
> purpose is to launch a java application on multiple cygwin machines
> using a looped 'ssh -f machinex "java app"' script with the gui
> displaying on each remote machine.  This approach works great on linux
> boxes but I cannot get a java gui to display on the cygwin machines.
>
> I can remotely launch xterms since I do have an Xserver running on the
> cygwin box.
>
> Any help or pointers to better information would be greatly appreciated.

There is no Cygwin version of Java.  Therefore, you're starting a Windows
version of Java, which is not an X application.  You will not be able to
forward the display, unless you use something like rdesktop or VNC.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin