Re: Cygwin snapshot and 'last-cache' file

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:00:42PM +0200, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>The file /etc/setup/last-cache contains path in DOS-like style:
>
>   C:\cygwin\home\Angelo\Downloads\cygwin

setup.exe is not a cygwin program.

>When a script tries to retrive this information from 'last-cache' under
>the snapshot (for 1.7.0 release) there is the warning:

"a script"?  As in a script that you wrote?

>  cygwin warning:
>  MS-DOS style path detected: C:/cygwin/home/Angelo/Downloads/cygwin
>  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /home/Angelo/Downloads/cygwin
>  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
>  warning.
>  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>
>... and I remember some discussion (MAKE-3.81 etc.) in which you were
>reluctanct in accepting the DOS-like paths.

So, if you grab some data from a random file on the system and that
file contains a DOS path and you then try to use the DOS path under
cygwin, you will get a warning which explains that it's not a good
idea to use DOS paths along with information about how to avoid getting
the warning.

Seems like everything is working as designed.  OTOH, if the above
script is something from the cygwin distribution then please be more
specific so that it can be fixed.

cgf