Re: A Utility that creates .SFV (Simple File Verify)

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:10:14 -0400, "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:

>robert_neville310@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I would like to develop a script that verifies check sums/crc found in sfv files.
>>
>> Sfv are used to verify whether downloads contain the same fingerprint as the files on the server.
>>
>> Please let me know any cygwin-ports that may aid in verifying sfv. My Google search only returned
>> these Unix tools; cksfv, puresfv, and cfv. But I did not find any cygwin-ports.  Please let me know
>> if tools exist under cygwin or how one would compile one of these tools for use with cygwin (btw I
>> am fairly new to cygwin).
>>
>> http://pure-sfv.sourceforge.net/
>> http://freshmeat.net/projects/cksfv/
>> http://cfv.sourceforge.net/
>>

><http://www.google.com/search?q=cksfv+cygwin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a>
>
>The first hit here has a report that sounds encouraging for cksfv.  Didn't
>Google for the others you listed above, though I expect something similar
>for each.  Maybe there are pre-built binaries out there if you look hard
>enough.  But it sounds like a simple 'make' will build it.

As mentioned in the previous post, I have never compiled any application under cygwin. So a learning
curve exists for me, thus these questions come to mind. According to the cksfv page, a comment
mentions compiling the source for use under Windows, yet I am not familiar with these tools. Here's
an excerpt from the comment.

"compile on Windows using gcc, mingw and GNU make from Cygwin (standard install, no other settings
required) and I can tell that it works like a snap :-)
The only needed dependency will be cygwin1.dll so the Windows binary version could even be
distributed too."

What is gcc and how do you install it?
What is mingw and how do you install?
What is cygwin1.dll and how to you get it?
What is the difference between make and gmake?

As far I can tell, I have ggc, make, cygwin1.dll on my cygwin installation.