CD doesn't work in script

Hi all,

I have successfully installed Cygwin on XP SP2, and would like to run a
script which includes a change directory command (cd \etc.)

All the other lines of the script work except the one with cd. The same line
works when input by hand.

Searching on the net I found that line endings could be critical (Lf instead
of CrLf) and ran the script through d2u. Still no success.

Curiously, if the script tries a cd with a non-existing directory, I get a
warning. Otherwise, the script runs withouth any problems, but the active
directory does not change.

Don't know what to do next...

Any help appreciated

Robert