Cygwin, Vista, and rcmd

I've been watching the groups, Google, and so forth with little luck to resolving the issue seen by myself and a few other people:

$ rlogin blah@blah
9617 [main] rlogin 5392 e:\cygwin\bin\rlogin.exe: *** fatal error - couldn't dynamically determine load address for 'rcmd' (handle 0x75E70000), Win32 error 127
Hangup

So I finally did some research myself. I don't have a solution, but i have another name for the problem!

Error code 127 is the 'procedure not found' code in Win32. I searched through the code and the DLLs involved, and found that ultimately, rlogin is looking for 'rcmd' in mswsock.dll (linked through wsock32.dll). The 'rcmd' export is clearly available in Windows 2000 and Windows XP (the two other versions I checked), and conspicuously absent in Vista. (Checked with depends.exe).

The only thing I could find on the development list was a note from July by Corinna Vinschen that there was work in progress towards replacing the winsock calls -- looks like we're going to need that for Vista.

I'm not looking for support, just sharing the results of my research in hopes of making the problem less mysterious. I guess not many people use this functionality (but I use it daily in my work! ;) )