RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: brltty 3.8

Christopher Faylor wrote on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 8:26 PM::

> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 02:22:30PM -0500, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:

>>> Last I heard, setup.exe was not particularly friendly wrt screen
>>> readers (cf. package selection). Hence the visually impaired would
>>> have difficulty selecting brltty for installation.
>>>
>>> In addition to installation brltty also needs an amount of
>>> configuration to select the type of terminal to use, and for the
>>> daemon to be started.
>>>
>>> Despite the latter I would suggest that (at least the non-X bit of)
>>> brltty should be kept in Base to make things simpler for those who
>>> need it. At least until we get that revamped setup.exe :)
>>
>> It seems that when you trace the requirements of brltty down, you end
>> up with xorg, perl, and python packages getting installed.
>>
>> So, do we want those to be considered part of Base?
>
> No.  I've removed it from Base.
>
> cgf

I agree that it shouldn't be in base, because that should be reserved
for packages that are considered essential for the correct running of
cygwin.

Might I suggest a compromise?  Create a new "Accessibility" group in
setup.  It would (at least for now) be the first group and just
clicking the "Default" label once would switch it to "Install".  It's
not perfect for the visually impaired, but providing the instructions
are available in a screen-reader-friendly format, it should be
acceptable for all but those with the most severely impaired vision.

Phil