Private key file permissions w/Cygwin OpenSSH on Vista

Re: binary distro of OpenSSH 3.8.1p1

I've been unable to use Cygwin's OpenSSH on Vista w/public key authentication because ssh.exe always states the file permissions on the private key file--"id_rsa"--are too open.

I've used the chmod.exe utility to change the permissions on the id_rsa file to 600, but ssh.exe still pops up with the same error message.

I've also used Windows' cacls.exe command to alter the ACLs for the file to be ONLY read-accesible to the current user, and the same thing happens.

This behavior DOES NOT occur on XP and 2000 when I try it, i. e. chmod.exe WORKS on these OSs to change id_rsa's permissions so that ssh.exe is happy (i. e. to 0600).

Is there a specific bona-fide way to set the id_rsa file's permission to always be acceptable to Cygwin SSH on Vista, in addition to the other Windows OSs?

Let me know. Thanks.