rxvt question

Hi all,

After several years of cygwin with the windows console, I am trying to use
rxvt to run cygwin bash and I am running into an issue when running commands
such as sqlplus.

I should point out that my question might not be completely related to
cygwin. Having searched the web extensively for some explanation, I haven't
found a good one and thought that people using cygwin might also be using
rxvt and that they have been able to find a workaround for this issue.

-------8<-------------------------------------------
Running bash with Windows console window:
$ sqlplus user123/pass@cr2inst1
SQL> select sysdate from dual;
<works fine ...>
SQL> ed
<vim opens correctly and allows to edit the buffer ...>
SQL> /
SQL> <press 'up arrow' once, the previous command is displayed>
SQL> /

-------8<-------------------------------------------
Running bash with rxvt:
$ sqlplus user123/pass@cr2inst1
SQL > select sysdate from dual;
<works fine ...>
SQL> ed
<The following is displayed some seconds before vim is launched ...>
Wrote file C:\temp\sqlplus_temp.sql
Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal
Vim: Warning: Input is not from a terminal
<vim is launched but I cannot go to vim control mode when pressing <ESC> >

SQL> <press 'up arrow' once, the cursor goes up one line !!!>
-------8<-------------------------------------------

>From what I've read so far, it would seem that rxvt does not handle
correctly terminal operations and that's what is causing these issues.

I'm interested in knowing whether anyone has ever encountered such issues
and whether he has been able to solve the issue (vim not properly launched
under sqlplus and the up arrow not functionning correctly) or at least have
found a workaround regarding this issue. Any URL or pointer is most
welcomed.

As said above, my apologies for the intrusion; please discard this mail if
you feel it's out of context.

Many thanks,
Teggy
tve.ml@online.fr