Re: [SOLVED] Re: cygwin's [g]make 3.81 seems not to understand conditionals

Carlo Florendo wrote:
David Rothenberger wrote:
On 7/18/2007 9:03 PM, Carlo Florendo wrote:
I've got (and attached) this simple Makefile that checks the build platform of a machine.

Here's the cut-and-pasted content of the Makefile:

PLATFORM=$(shell uname -s | cut -f 1 -d " " | cut -f 1 -d "_");

Try removing the trailing semicolon. It is not removed by make, so PLATFORM ends up being "CYGWIN;".

Bingo. That did it!

So does that mean that make 3.80 was wrong then?

Please ignore this, sorry. Both have the correct behaviour.

When expanded under Linux, the make statements become

ifeq ("Linux;", "CYGWIN)
    echo cygwin;
else
    echo linux;
endif

it will "correctly" output "linux" but it got to the else conditional only because "Linux;" != "CYGWIN.

The trailing semi-colon confused me. I was treating the Makefile as a bash script.

Thanks, David!

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

--
The Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City