Re: [Parallels 3.0, MacOS 10.4.9] Cygwin install probs and how do I subscribe

David.L.Goldsmith@noaa.gov wrote:
Tim Prince wrote:
make is available on the cygwin setup selection window, as are other development packages you would need.
Generally speaking, putting cygwin stuff in your Windows environment should be avoided.
I don't understand this comment at all: isn't cygwin precisely for Windows environs? Besides, it's not my choice to use cygwin - I need to use ATLAS and the install instructions I found for that say first install cygwin. If anyone knows a better way to install ATLAS, please share.

cygwin is best suited for running applications inside its own environment. I tried to answer, as I didn't notice any replies. I don't think anyone has wanted to spend the time trying to divine your intentions by reading documentation which you say the author has declined to support. You could be wanting to use ATLAS within cygwin, built with cygwin compilers, in which case this list might be of some assistance.
Even if you are using non-cygwin compilers, simply using cygwin make etc. to run a Makefile, you really should try to set those compilers up normally, minimize non-standard path settings, and make any changes you require in the Makefile.