Re: Bug Report: ioperm.sys on Windows Server 2003 x64

adombi@adenet.biz wrote:

>    \??\C:\cygwin\bin\ioperm.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility
>    with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of
>    the driver.

Yes, there's no way a 32 bit driver should work in a 64 bit OS.

> Suggestion: Since ioperm.sys seems to be a kernel mode
> driver, it needs explicit support for native 64Bit mode.
> Can you compile this driver in x64 mode?
> (E.g. name it iopermX64.sys)

There are two problems here.  One is that the driver needs to be ported,
i.e. there is more to it than just recompiling.  Two is that there is no
Free 64 bit compiler.  The free MS Visual Studio Express is 32 bit only
and gcc has not been ported to 64 bit Windows.  (There is an
x86_64-pc-mingw32 port that is a work in progress but it's still in the
early stages and not released yet.)  So I'm not sure if the ioperm
maintainer (or the Cygwin project, for that matter) would be comfortable
releasing a binary package that requires an expensive proprietary
toolchain to rebuild.

Brian