Re: rsync problems from Vista installed cygwin, ok on XP

On Aug 13 05:28, DaveB wrote:

> My cygwin on Vista seems to work but when I try to do rsync to fixup files on
> my unix ftp server, it chokes with lots of errors and does a bizarre reset
> of the permission bits for the destination folder.  Here's what happens:
> [this is the same rsync command that works fine on XP]:
>
> ===========================
> $ rsync -avz --stats --progress -e ssh . mylogin@myftp.com:/mypath/wherever/
> mylogin@myftp.com's password: xxxxxx
> building file list ...
> 8 files to consider
> ./
> rsync: failed to modify permissions on "/mypath/wherever/.": Permission
> denied (13)
> rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/mypath/wherever/firstfile.xxx":
> Permission denied (13)
> rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/mypath/wherever/secondfile.xxx":
> Permission denied (13)
> ...etc...
> rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/mypath/wherever/." failed: Permission denied
> (13)
> *** Skipping everything below this failed directory ***

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#WJFFM

For testing I copied over the whole /usr directory from my Vista box to
a Linux machine.  I'm rather puzzled how setting permissions on the
*remote* machine should be affected by the OS of the source machine.

I guess we need much more information.  Are the affected directories
Cygwin-created directories or natively created dirs?  Do they contain
spaces or native characters?  What are the local permissions on them
(getfacl/cacls)?  Does your Vista account have admin privileges?  UAC
switched on?  If so, is rsync running normally with reduced privileges
or "as administrator"?  Is your remote Unix account root or non-root?

Corinna

Red Hat