Re: Cygwin: Problem detecting subprocess termination after _spawn_posix in distutils?

Steve Holden wrote:
Martin v. Löwis wrote:
The only environment variables that don't appear in the shell output from the env command are INFOPATH, MAKE_MODE and PLAT. I am still flummoxed.
At this point, I'd recommend to perform a cygwin update; with Cygwin,
these problems often go away with an update.

I updated Cygwin and did a rebaseall before posting.

If that doesn't help, you can ask on the Cygwin list also; to analyse
this further, ISTM one will need to debug the internals of cygwin.

I posted on Cygwin before asking here.

One thing you could try is to add -v to the list of gcc options;
you can then see whether gcc is progressing correctly.

I'll do that, though I have reason to believe the gcc *is* terminating and _spawn_posix isn't detecting the end of the process. At the very least we should get another test out of this dreadfully irritating bug.

Thanks again for looking at this.

A further data point (sorry, I've not had a lot of time to look at this). Building Python from the trunk at rev 57076 yielded a system that *would* cleanly build the same release of PIL. This is somewhat annoying because it appears to put the bug in the past where there's less incentive to investigate it. But I may find time to take a look.

Hardly worth it if I'm the only one noticing the issue, though.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119