Java under Cygwin and the installation of CaGe

Hello,

this is my problem: I used Windows XP and would like to install the graph
visualization software CaGe, obtainable at

http://www.math.uni-bielefeld.de/~CaGe/

which is built in, and requires Java; the system requirements include
the following passage:

a Java installation
(with Java Native Interface [JNI] files -- which means that a Runtime
Environment [JRE] won't be enough, you need the full Software Development
Kit [SDK]. Tested with JavaSoft's JDK 1.1.7 and Borland JBuilder's 1.3).

However, no Windows version of CaGe exists and thus I have settled for
Cygwin.

I have little experience with Java and virtually no experience with Cygwin,
so please view my inability to make sense of the errors which I describe
below in this light. I am not even able to find out whether I have the
necessary JNI files (I do not now what this is) or how to obtain from
SUN's site the files I need. Nor can I read off from the error messages
below whether the only problem are the missing JNI files or whether there
are Cygwin related things to do in order to get CaGe running.

I have done a complete installation of Cygwin and it seems to work fine,
just as some tutorial expect it to work.

Now I describe the errors that arise during the installation:

When I start the installation of CaGe after downloading and unzipping
the files by ./INSTALL.sh, then the following things happen: I quote:

"
* Looking for a C compiler ...
Ok, using '/usr/bin/gcc'.

* Looking for commands: 'unzip', 'make', 'mkdir', 'chmod', 'find' ...
All found.

* Looking for a Java installation ...

The following directory seems to be part of a Java installation.
Choose it (enter 1) or enter the path of another such directory.
Enter '?' for a full search. '-' to exit.

1: /cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/bin

number or directory:

"

If I confirm this with 1, the installation continues and fails as follows:

"
* Making native libraries ...

/usr/bin/gcc -fPIC -c -I/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include
-I/cygdr
ive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/win32 NativeCaGePipe.c
NativeEmbedEmbed
der.c NativeEmbeddableGraph.c NativeEdgeIterator.c NativePlanarWriter.c
NativeWr
itegraphWriter.c NativeCMLWriter.c NativePDBWriter.c Pipe.c
BufferedFDInputStrea
m.c BufferedFDOutputStream.c get_element.c check_graph.c graph.c
read_graphs.c d
string.c cmd_vector.c pipe_tools.c file_tools.c malloc.c jbytes.c j_debug.c
j_er
ror_exit.c Systoolbox.c
NativeCaGePipe.c:1: warning: -fPIC ignored for target (all code is position
inde
pendent)
In file included from
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/jni.h:27,
from NativeCaGePipe.h:2,
from NativeCaGePipe.c:21:
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/win32/jni_md.h:16: error:
parse e
rror before "jlong"
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/win32/jni_md.h:16: warning:
data
definition has no type or storage class
In file included from NativeCaGePipe.h:2,
from NativeCaGePipe.c:21:
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/jni.h:108: error: parse error
bef
ore "jlong"
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/jni.h:108: warning: no
semicolon
at end of struct or union
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/jni.h:112: error: parse error
bef
ore '}' token
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/jni.h:112: warning: data
definiti
on has no type or storage class
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/jni.h:255: error: parse error
bef
ore '*' token
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/jni.h:270: error: parse error
bef
ore '*' token
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/jni.h:277: error: parse error
bef
ore '*' token
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/jni.h:284: error: parse error
bef
ore '*' token

"

( It goes on like that for a long time with similar messages
and ends as follows)

"
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/jni.h:735: warning: data
definiti
on has no type or storage class
/cygdrive/c/Programme/Java/jdk1.5.0_09/include/jni.h:736: error: parse error
bef
ore '}' token
make: *** [CaGe.dll] Error 1

- 'make' failure, aborting.

I have searched with Google for quite a long time on the topic of Java and
Cygwin and CaGe, but have hardly found more than

und
http://www.inonit.com/cygwin/

and all this does not help me. The hint to get acquainted with the
cygpath command does not help me either.

It seems that until now nobody with my problem (Windows, want to install
CaGe, total beginner with Cygwin) has left his/her traces on the web.

Can anybody help me? What is the problem? What do I have to do or learn,
where to look next, in order to get CaGe running? At the moment I do not
even know to look, especially on SUN's site. Could anyone adept at Cygwin
just take a moment and install CaGe and describe what one has to do?

If you would like me to post this to some other forum, please let me know,
I am even grateful for help of this kind.

Thank you very much,
point