Re: not able to start command interpreter after installation

Michele Caramello wrote:

> - Downloaded the whole package on my disk
> - Installed 'Default' proposed configuration from 'Local repository' on
> c:\cygwin: installation successful

What does this mean, downloaded the "whole package"?  Your installation
is broken because you are missing a number of required packages.
Looking at your cygcheck output, the following packages should have been
installed but were not:

alternatives
ash
base-files
base-passwd
bzip2
crypt
cygutils
findutils
groff
libbz2
libiconv2
libintl2
libintl8
libncurses8
libpcre0
libpopt0
libreadline6
mktemp
rebase
run
tar
termcap
terminfo
texinfo

Setup should have found and installed all of these, so try just running
it again and accepting all the options.  If it does not try to install
them then it probably can't as they aren't in the local install cache,
which means you need to download them.  Some of the above are not
technically required, but many are, notably the lib* ones.  There is no
way Cygwin can function with what you currently have installed, though.

Brian