Re: ssh ProxyCommand not finding anything to execute

On 9/17/07, SQueeZe <> wrote:

> Hi All
> I am trying to connect to my home computer from work and I have to use the
> work HTTP proxy on port 443 in order to do so.  I have done this using PuTTY
> just fine so I know there is nothing wrong with my setup.  I have downloaded
> the windows binary of Connect and placed it in the same folder as the ssh
> binary (c:\cwrsync\bin).  If I try to run the connect command by itself in
> debug mode I can connect to the proxy and thus my home PC just fine:
>
> bash-3.00$ connect -d -H proxy:8085 myhomepc 443

- - -  deleted DEBUG - - -
> SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-9
>
> DEBUG: sent 2 bytes
> DEBUG: recv 19 bytes
> Protocol mismatch.
> DEBUG: connection closed by peer
> DEBUG: relaying done.
> DEBUG: that's all, bye.
>
> I have installed cwRsync which has the OpenSSH client version 4.5.  I should
> be able to type in the following:
>
> ssh -v -o ProxyCommand="connect -H -d proxy:8085 %h 443" user@myhomepc
>
> However I get the following error:
>
> OpenSSH_4.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8d 28 Sep 2006
> debug1: Executing proxy command: exec connect.exe -H proxy:8085 myhomepc 443
> debug1: permanently_drop_suid: 400
> /bin/sh: No such file or directory
> debug1: identity file /cygdrive/c/Documents and
> Settings/myuser/.ssh/identity type -1
> debug1: identity file /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/myuser/.ssh/id_rsa
> type 1
> debug1: identity file /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/myuser/.ssh/id_dsa
> type -1
>
> The problem is that it doesn't seem to be finding the connect binary.  If I
> remove all the "connect.exe...." stuff and just leave it as "" or put random
> stuff in there, I get exactly the same error.  C:\cwRsync\bin is in my PATH
> variable so I can type it from anywhere.
> I have tried specifying the location with:
> C:\cwRsync\bin\connect
> /cygdrive/c/cwRsync/bin/connect
> and I have tried copying the binary to various places on my hard drive to no
> avail.
>
> My understanding is that I should get some output from Connect once it finds
> it as I have specified the -d flag.
> What am I doing wrong?
> Thanks
> SQueeZe
> --

Hello.

I have used the ProxyConnect option successfully.  However, I do not
use your method.
Instead, I modify my ~/.ssh/config file to contain ProxyCommand
sections for specific IP addresses or hosts.
It might make your command line a little bit easier to read and would
elimiate potential quoting errors.

I am also using corkscrew instead of connect.exe for ProxyCommand and
I compiled it myself inside of cygwin.

See man ssh_config

Also

-Jason