Re: Space in Home Directory Path

> G. Huang wrote:
> > So my question is: Is there a way to change the home directory on the XP
> > machine to c:\cygwin\home\gang? Or alternatively, get around the space
> > problem?
> In /etc/passwd, set the the user home directory field to the desired
> value, ex.
> /cygdrive/c/home/gang.
> The workaround for the problem with spaces in paths is to not have
> spaces in paths - as the FAQ has already told you. One possible way to
> achieve this is to use the 8.3-style-version of the path. For example,
> the user home directory field in /etc/passwd for my main account is set to
> /cygdrive/c/DOKUME~1/mks/Home
> (i. e. pointing to C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\mks\Home) and I have
> never had any problems with this setting.

With bash, it's also possible to quote a file or directory name:

 PATH="$PATH:/Documents and Settings"

but it isn't portable in all shells.

Another solution would be to symlink the Windows directory into the home

  ln -s /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/gang .

and there should be no problem adding the symlinked directory to the path.

Ctalk Home Page: