Re: Updated: git-1.5.3.2-1

Eric Blake wrote:
According to Eric Blake on 9/22/2007 6:37 PM:
A new release of git, 1.5.3.2-1, has been uploaded, replacing 1.5.3-1 as
the current version.

Phooey. In the process of packaging this, I overlooked the fact that the upstream makefile changed enough such that /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/Error.pm was no longer included automatically; the absence of this file breaks (among others) 'git remote'. Is Error.pm useful enough on its own to release as an independent package, or should I respin git-1.5.3.2-2 to once again include it as part of git?

Hi, Eric

I did notice the following:

Try 1: Error.pm is present at build time
$ wget home.comcast.net/~ericblake/Error.pm && \
  mv Error.pm /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8
$ cygport git-1.5.3.2-1.cygport all
$ tar -jtf git-1.5.3.2-1.tar.bz2  | grep Error.pm
(no output)

Try 2: Error.pm is absent at build time
$ rm /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/Error.pm
$ cygport git-1.5.3.2-1.cygport all
$ tar -jtf git-1.5.3.2-1.tar.bz2  | grep Error.pm
usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/Error.pm

My guess is, Error.pm doesn't really belong to git, and upstream only includes it in case the user doesn't have it already. On the other hand, if it's already present on the build system, the git makefiles will go to great lengths to avoid overwriting it in the install phase. Anyway, this is how I interpret the results above.

My suggestion is to package the Error.pm CPAN module, and require it to be present at build time as well as at runtime.

Or you could simply warn the user in the git README to remove the Error.pm file from your system before building the source package, so it ends up in the binary package after all.

Regards,
Cesar