Re: Home directory

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Gmane User wrote:
>
>> If I were make c:/cygwin/home/UserName my home directory, what is the best way?
>>  Ssh only considers /etc/passwd, so it seems best to manually set it there,
>> though I'd have to manually fix it each time I recreate it.  It still seems to
>> be the best way, but opinions are welcome on "good practice".
>
> Well you already said it -- sshd only considers the entry in passwd so
> that's pretty much the only option if you plan to connect remotely.
> However, you should use a POSIX path like /home/UserName not
> c:/whatever.

Indeed.  I guess that's it.

On the other hand, it occurred to me that it might be worthwhile to uninstall
cygwin, then reinstall it on a secondary IDE drive (not drive c:), along with
the cygwin user file/folder tree.  It has a lot more space, so I can forget the
network drive altogether.  I was initially trying to avoid the secondary drive
because I fully expect suprises and a brand new learning experiences due to the
unconventional location.  But I can always give it a go.  The only issue at hand
is time.