Re: How to write directory address under Cygwin?

Peter Hains wrote:

> I know this quite probably a very basic question, so basic in fact, I
> haven't been able to find any help! I have Cygwin up and running on my
> PC and I am trying to use a UNIX program under Cygwin. The program
> requires a parameter file telling it where to find all the files it has
> to work on. This file can be found in the
> "C:\cygwin\home\PHains\SuperHirn\make" directory on my hard drive. My
> problem is getting the UNIX software to understand where the parameter
> file can be found.
>
> I've tried the Windows nomenclature as outlined above and what I think
> is the Cygwin version;
>
> /home/PHains/SuperHirn/make

This last one is the correct way to specify a path.

> and various other permutations. So far I have had no joy and the program
> keeps on telling me the file cannot be found at "whatever_I_entered."

Are you sure you need the directory path not the file path?

> Can somebody please tell me what the correct syntax would be in this case??

Other equivalent ways to write it depend on the shell, since bash is the default
you can also write: ~/SuperHirn/make; or if you are in that directory the just
write: .

You can test if the directory exist, for instance in a script but also in a
terminal with: [ -d ~/SuperHirn/make ] && echo "Yes, directory exist" .
--
René Berber