Re: Naming Cygwin Shells

In some initial cygwin window, execute the following command line:

setpgrp rxvt --backspacekey ^H -sbt 15 -fg white -bg black -geometry +75+80 -sr -title "SYSTEMxx" -tn ansi -sl 1500 -fn 'Lucida Console-12' -e ksh &

and replace "SYSTEMxx" with what ever label you like. This will create another window with a shell and place the label at the top of the new window. You can then type in that window. If you don't have a copy of "setprgp.exe", you can remove it. However, an interrupt in ANY window will them them all off. Or you can get a copy at: http://pmcferrin.homedns.org/setpgrp.exe It is a simple program that executees the setpgrp(2) system call before executing the arguments.

With the above, there is no need to worry about the fuss of using escape sequences to set your window's title. Each window will have it's own complete and independant environment to do anything. The source to setpgrp.c is at: http://pmcferrin.homedns.org/setpgrp.c

- paul

Also available from:  http://pmcferrin.homedns.org/
are:
  cygwin.bat
  .bash_login
which is what I use to start up cygwin, desktop icon: C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat

bluewolf wrote:
Simple question here. I am trying to figure out a way to name a cygwin shell
so that I can have multiple windows up doing tails and other such functions
and easily see what system i am looking at.
I know that in CMD if i want to change the name of a CMD window to shellname
the command the command is simply> title shellname

It was suggested that for cygwin i would use> cmd /c title=shellname

but that die not work. does any one know how I could accomplish this?