Re: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

jamil egdemir wrote:
Hi,

While trying to install matplotlib using easy_install for python (see
output below) I ran into the 'fork: Resource temporarily unavailable'
problem.  I've been searching for a few hours now on the web.. no
luck.  I've searched the mailing lists:

http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=fork+temporarily+unavailable&cmd=Search%21&form=extended&m=all&ps=10&fmt=long&wm=wrd&sp=1&sy=1&wf=2221&type=&GroupBySite=no&ul=%2Fml%2Fcygwin%2F%25

leading me to this:

Here is the current value of my
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session
Manager\SubSystems key:

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
SharedSection=2048,6144,4096 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
MaxRequestThreads=32

The values for SharedSection have all been increased to values above
the defaults as described in the post above.. no effect.

I also found a few other posts which suggested turning off services
and such and I've turned off everything I could (virus scanners, chat
clients, etc...) with msconfig to no effect.  Not sure how to proceed.
 I'm thinking of trying a cygwin snapshot... or backing off to a
previous version of cygwin..

Will this help? What was the first version of cygwin where this
problem popped up?

Lately, the biggest cause of this kind of error is:

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA>

You typically need to uninstall the offending software to see a difference.
Disabling/turning it off is usually not enough.

You may also be lucky and find that it's just problem with DLL base address
collisions (can't tell from the scant info given so far).  If that's the
case, you can install the 'rebase' package and read its README to find out
how to clear this up.  While you're at it, you may as well install the
current Cygwin version.  1.5.19 is old and not supported by this list.

Holliston, MA 01746