end of file characters

I went with the defaults when installing cygwin.  Which means I used
 the recommended unix/binary line feed setting.  It sounded like that
 means I get no line-ending translation done by cygwin, which is fine.

So I open a .bat file and see a bunch of ^Ms at the end of each line.
  Then I open a xml file and don't see them.  I was expecting to see
the
 ^Ms again as the xml file, just like the bat file, was created in a
 windows environment.  Is this normal?

Another question...  When I'm editing a file that has the ^Ms do I
 leave them alone, or delete them?  Will I be able to go back and forth
and
 use vi via cygwin, and notepad/textpad via windows without harming the
 file?

Thanks...
Erik

--