Re: end of file characters

On 2007-12-03, Ren Berber wrote:
> Gary Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> > Except that WordPad always writes CR-LF at the ends of lines, even
> > if the original file had only LF line endings.[snip]
>
> "always" is not true, WordPad distinguishes between text and DOS text as
> anybody can see in the file types offered when using Save as...

I'm afraid it is true.  Have you actually tried those two "Save as
type" settings?  On the copy of WordPad I have on this XP machine,
which says it's WordPad Version 5.1, the choices are

   Rich Text Format (RTF)
   Text Document
   Text Document - MS-DOS Format
   Unicode Text Document

Opening a text file that had only LF line endings and saving it as
either of the two "Text Document" types will result in a file with
CR-LF line endings.  I have found no way to have WordPad save a file
with LF line endings.

Regards,
Gary