RE: tetex on Vista

On 04 December 2007 13:18, Wilfried wrote:

> Erik Demaine <edemaine> wrote:
>
>> The default installation of Cygwin tetex does not seem to have the
>> right permissions for Vista to be happy (with User Account Protection
>> turned on, as is default).  Here is an example of an error message:
>>
>> $ latex filename.tex
>> This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
>>   file:line:error style messages enabled.
>>   %&-line parsing enabled.
>> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
>> tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not
>> found. fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
>> I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!
>>
>> It seems necessary to chmod -R u+w some subset of
>> /var/cache/fonts, /usr/share/texmf, /usr/lib/texmf
>> for latex to properly be able to build latex.fmt,
>> ditto for pdflatex, and kpathsea to build fonts.
>> Presumably this should happen in the initial installation,
>> or somehow the permission issue should be avoided.
>
> I also observed this, even with UAC (User Account Control) deactivated.
> Windows explorer reports that some files are read-only.
> With Explorer's GUI, one can un-check the read-only property and tell
> Explorer to set this for all child folders and files, but after this
> they were still read-only. Very strange.
> Same solution helped (I did a chmod -R u+rw g+rw).

  Hmmm.  I've had problems before with tetex files having no group ownership
after installing as one user but running as another:

  Is it possible that the same thing is happening as a result of running
setup.exe as an admin user under vista but running cygwin itself as the
ordinary limited user?

    cheers,
      DaveK