root and chown

Hello,

a do have a problem with my cygwin-NFS-Server, root and chown

On my windows computer:

 root@server:grep root /etc/passwd
 root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
 operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:

 root@server:chown root sshd/
 chown: changing ownership of `sshd': Invalid argument

On the nfs client (imported its file system per nfs):

 root@client:/var/empty# grep root /etc/passwd
 root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
 operator:*:12:0:operator:/root:/bin/sh

 root@client:/var/empty# chown root sshd/
 chown: changing ownership of `sshd/': Invalid argument

Where is my error? How can I solve this?
The original proble is that I want to start the ssd-server on the client
but:

 root@client:/var/empty# /etc/init.d/ssh start
 Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd/var/empty/sshd must be owned
 by root and not group or world-writable.
  failed (255: ).

Bye - Robert