Linux man pages for Cygwin (was Re: "cygwin-os" & library man pages?)

On Feb 13 22:31, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>>   Having said that, of course, since our goal is to emulate a linux
>> system, the linux manpages should be correct and any inaccuracy is more of
>> a bug in cygwin for not matching the man page rather than an error in the
>> man page for not describing what cygwin (rather than linux) does...
> ----
>
> 	Cool!  :-)

I already asked that on the cygwin-apps mailing list 9 months ago:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2007-04/msg00021.html

To rephrase it a little bit:

We can use the man-pages package from Fedora, which is basically the
man page compilation from the Linux Documentation Project (http://tldp.org).

What we need to make this dream come true is a volunteer to become
package maintainer for this man-pages package.

We have a list of supported function calls in our source repository.
You can find it as part of the cygwin docs online:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-api/compatibility.html

It should be easy to compare this set with the full set of Linux man
pages and to extract the man pages with the supported list of functions
for our man-pages package.  This would have to be changed only when a
new Cygwin version with a new set of supported functions gets released.

Any volunteer?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat